Full time, permanent position on offer for a Chartered Infrastructure Civil Engineer in GCA HQ located in Derby
Package: Basic salary will be in the bracket of £32,000 to £48,000, dependent upon experience. Payment of Professional Subscriptions; 22 days holiday plus bank holidays; Company Pension (3% contribution).
Background to appointment:
GCA Consulting are a well-established multi-disciplinary firm, with a diverse workload of £1-15m schemes. We have a vacancy for an experienced infrastructure engineer.
We offer a varied and interesting workload. This is a client facing role, and consequently we require a candidate with excellent communication skills. The successful candidate would have 7+ years experience, and a good grounding in a range of civil engineering work (drainage, highways etc), or deeper knowledge within one area and a desire to develop their skills across other disciplines.
- Managing and undertaking numerous residential, commercial and public sector related clients and projects. Liaison and co-operative working with team members, senior staff and colleagues in other disciplines.
- Writing of Flood Risk Assessment reports, Transport Assessments and other technical reports for strategic development schemes.
- Development of surface water drainage strategy designs, Road design, S38, S104, S106 and S278 documentation.
- Prepare design models, drawings, calculations, technical documents, reports and correspondence.
- Assist Director with operation of the Civil team to meet the productivity and growth aspirations of the company.
- Submissions of designs for third party approvals which require pro-active communication with clients, authorities and other agencies to ensure projects are completed to deadlines and budgets.
- Working within all offices as and when required, working additional hours if necessary to deliver all responsibilities and to attend meetings/events.
- Provide supervision, guidance, training and advice to junior engineers/technicians. Work closely with the Civil Director to develop business strategies to deliver the strategic goals of the company.
- Ensure all team members follow a continued professional development/programme of training to maintain the growth of the division. Achieve minimum of 5 days continuing professional development (CPD) per year.
- Compliance with Designer’s responsibilities under the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2007. Maintain valid CSCS Card.
- Undertaking junior staff PDR and performance reviews.
- Project management including client liaison, fee proposals, invoicing and managing team members.
- Business development and networking. Maintaining and growing existing client relationships, developing new opportunities and diversifying the range of commissions.
- Management of clients and projects, including regular communication, obtaining feedback on performance, agreeing fee proposals and timescales.
- Ensure team liaise fully with clients, other staff members and statutory bodies including Planning Authorities, Highway Authorities, Drainage Authorities, Environment Agency, etc to ensure efficient progress with commissions.
- Review calculations, technical documents, reports and correspondence produced by team to ensure delivery of quality, accurate and efficient work which has undergone rigorous checking procedures throughout the whole process.
- Monthly invoicing.
- Site visits for inspections or investigation work; attendance at meetings with team, clients and suppliers. Occasional requirement to attend events and meetings outside of normal office hours.
- Other duties as may occasionally be required to support the needs of the business.
- Educated to a minimum standard of degree in a relevant subject.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of technical guidance, standards/regulations and good practice.
- Member of The Institution of Civil Engineers or other relevant professional body. Hold or working towards a recognised professional qualification.
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD.
- Proficient in modelling software such as Micro Drainage, PDS or Civil 3d.
- Working knowledge of drainage design standards and good practice, including Sewers for Adoption, Wallingford Procedure, FEH, NHBC Standards, CIRIA 753 (SUDS Manual), NPPF, etc.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, particularly report writing and client liaison.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team. This will also involve working with various other disciplines and offices within GCA and external organisations.
- Self-motivated individual with desire to not only work within the company but also have ambition to help it grow and develop. Mentoring/supervision of trainee staff to develop their knowledge and skills.
- 100% commitment to the Company Values and Service Commitments.
- Excellent time keeping.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to present information in detail to Directors, senior management team and staff.
- Smart appearance in accordance with Company dress code policy.
- Hold full clean driving licence and have own private car with insurance for business use.