We provide creative, sensitive, practical solutions for historic buildings across the UK, safeguarding our heritage value.
Incorporated in 1975, the firm has been established for over 45 years and has gained wide experience working on listed buildings, heritage and conservation projects.
We have worked on Grade I, Grade II* and Grade II properties across the UK, including Scheduled Ancient Monuments, and Unesco World Heritage Sites.
GCA’s Conservation team is led by Managing Director James Thomson who is a CARE Registered Conservation Accredited Engineer
We undertake work at any scale, from the sensitive repair of individual defects for homeowners, to the development of complex heritage sites at the National level. We work with individual clients, Trusts and site managers, as well as funders such as the National Lottery Heritage Fund and statutory bodies such as Historic England.
If you own a listed home, we can provide expert support for a range of defects. If you are considering buying a listed home, we can undertake specialist surveys.
We apply modern conservation philosophies, respecting the heritage value of every individual site. We take challenging, and competing objectives, and find the ‘best-for-project’ solutions the balance risk, safety, cost, and value.
GCA offers the following core services:
- Condition Surveys and Reports
- Sympathetic repairs for existing defects
- Creative structural solutions for new build or
extensions to historic properties
- Refurbishments and alterations
- Floor capacity checks for changes of use.
- Complex and challenging projects
- Foundation underpinning, increased loads
- Surveys of derelict or fire damaged properties
- Party wall surveying
- Expert witness work
- Factory and Mills, particularly in the Derwent Valley.
- Industrial Chimneys
- ‘Country Houses’
- Surveys for homebuyers
- Tall structures, obelisks and monuments